Product Guide: Ornamental
Ornamental fencing options provide aesthetic appeal along with security. Today’s ornamental fences are generally prefabricated from tubular bards, enhancing affordability while delivering beauty and strength.
- Residential – The spaced picket fence style allows see-through security, while homeowners can choose from various paint finishes to individualize their fence. Aluminum ornamental is often used as pool fence. Residential ornamental fence can also be used to define property lines and as wildlife deterrent.
- Commercial – Commercial ornamental fencing should be a stronger grade than residential. It’s used in a variety of applications, including around apartment buildings.
- Pool fencing – Ideal for the damp environment around a pool, ornamental fencing provides a see-through option for adults to monitor pool activity. A bottom horizontal rail is added as an extra safety precaution.
STYLES & PERSONALIZATION
There are several types of ornamental fencing, giving everyone an option to choose from.
- Aluminum – Ornamental aluminum fencing provides the visual appeal of wrought iron and is more economical.
- Steel – Today’s steel fence is offered in pre-assembled panels that are rackable to accommodate changes in grade. Pricing is in between Aluminum and the more costly Wrought Iron.
- Wrought Iron – Handcrafted, ornamental wrought iron fencing is a heavier, even more durable option, but not as economical as aluminum.
Ornamental fences can be finished many different ways for personalization.
- Acrylic Enamel Paint – The advantage of paint is that the consumer has a wide variety of color choices.
- Enamel – This is the most economical choice.
- Polyurethane – This offers enhanced protection from rust.
- Galvanized + Polyurethane – Long-lasting, this choice offers a strong level of rust protection.
- Prue-Galvanized + Polyurethane – This offers three layers of protection from the elements.
- Powder – Powder finishes are highly durable, and many powders include a UV inhibitor to help the color last.
- Powder + Pre-Galvanized – This choice offers enhanced protection from all weathering.
- Powder + Pre-Galvanized + Epoxy – This offers the most protection from the elements, and is a good choice for harsher climates.
Several modifications can be made to enhance the beauty and safety of ornamental fences, such as changing the height and width between slats. Ornamental fences are easily customizable by adding rails, rings, scrolls, and finials. Additionally available are arching or scalloping pickets.
When specifying an ornamental fence, homeowners, architects, engineers, and specifiers should ask themselves the following questions:
- What are the fence requirements in the area (for pool fencing projects)?
- What type of finish will the job require / does the homeowner want?
- Will the fence need to be residential, commercial, or industrial grade steel or aluminum?
- Do you know how to do-it-yourself if self-installing?
- Will the posts be installed in the ground or on a wall?
- Does the fence require any accessories or decorative touches?
- Does the fence require any security accessories like metal mesh, louvers, or special gates?
Local building codes should always be consulted for the minimum fencing requirements in that area.